The Kaduna State University (KASU) aims to be a world-class teaching, learning and research environment that would break new grounds in dissemination of knowledge and information of the highest quality. In line with this vision, the ICT Directorate, through a donor funding, has succeeded in deploying a robust optic-fibre network linking all buildings within all campuses of the university ---Main campus, Faculty of Arts, Barau Dikko Specialist Teaching Hospital, the College of Basic Studies and Kafanchan Campus. The robust IT infrastructure facilitates delivery of high-speed internet and intranet access suitable for e-learning services, on-line applications and multimedia communication services.
In today’s digital age, learning technology infrastructure are a necessity for tertiary education delivery, in view of that the Kaduna State University has sourced for and acquired, through a number of Interventions, state of Art learning technologies which have been deployed to various faculties to facilitate teaching and Learning. The ICT Directorate facilitated the installation and deployment of such and have also been training and re-training faculty on the use of such valuable resources.
KASU ICT Directorate was established in the 2012/2013 academic session with Dr Iliya W. Samaila as first Ag. Director from 2012 to November 2014. In November 2014, Dr. Fatima S. Kabir was appointed on acting capacity to head the Directorate. In April 2017, she proceeded on a Sabbatical leave to Ahmadu Bello University Zaria and the Directorate came under the headship of Mrs Saadatu Abdulkadir, who had earlier been appointed deputy director in the directorate. Dr Fatima S. Kabir is currently the head of the Directorate after returning from her Sabbatical leave in April 2018. The Directorate currently has four units, Computer Operations Unit (formerly known as Computer Centre), Network and Maintenance Unit, Management Information System Unit and Infrastructure and E-Training Unit. Kafanchan campus of the university also has an ICT Unit.
The ICT Directorate is saddled with the responsibility of making it easier for faculty, students, and staff to teach, research, learn, and work through the effective use of information technology. In addition to overseeing the activities of the various units, some of the activities of the Directorate include:
- Facilitating acquisition and deployment of ICT Infrastructure for the university, sometimes via Donor Projects e.g TETFund, NITDA, NCC
- Administering and maintaining Undergraduate/Postgraduate registration portals and Exam processing system.
- Production of Students and Staff Identity card.
- Coordinating and supervising DE/UTME online Registration and CBT Examinations
- Renewal of bandwidth for Kaduna and Kafanchan Campuses
- Organising Staff training on E-Learning facilities within the University
- Organising training and retraining of staff on the use of Staff Information system and Departmental Examination Officers on the use of the Result processing software
- Coordinating Digital Bridge Institute ADAPTI Training for teaching and non-teaching staff